Tri-City Electric Co. is currently seeking a Corporate Attorney for an immediate opening. The Corporate Attorney will be responsible for providing legal services to Tri-City Electric Co. and its affiliated companies on construction transactions and construction-related matters, disputes, and litigation. This position will be based out of our Davenport, IA or Des Moines, IA office (per the candidate’s choice).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Resolve construction claims and disputes regarding contracts, construction defects, torts, payments, bond claims, and liens to avoid litigation and arbitration where possible
- Manage construction-related claims on issues related to mechanic’s lien, stop notices, prompt payment, contract extras, delay damages, impact damages, assessments of liquidated damages
- Handle and manage all types of construction and real estate litigation claims
- Collections and lien filing/small claims filings
- Collaborate with the legal team to improve processes
- Review, modify, and create construction contracts, government contracts, and contractor agreements that protect from potential general liability and payment protection issues
- Review and negotiate terms of direct customer contracts
- Assist project managers with claims, notices, and project documentation
- Collaborate with HR Director and specialized external counsel on range of employment issues and needs
- Setting up new companies and reorganizing ownership structure
- Create or review operating agreements for new business ventures
- Review miscellaneous agreements, including consulting, recruiter, reseller, confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements
- Assist with real estate and business acquisitions/divestitures
- Assist with collective bargaining compliance
- Assist Safety Director on Worker’s Compensation / Risk Management issues
Qualified candidates will have a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited law school, at least three (3) years of commercial construction industry legal experience, a proven track record of favorable dispute resolution and litigation experiences and be in good standing with the Iowa State Bar.
Candidates must possess strong attention to detail, confidentiality, interpersonal, problem solving, and communication skills and the ability to provide the executive team with quality, accurate, and relevant advice on a spectrum of legal matters. Occasional travel between offices may be required.
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a drug screen and reference check. Tri-City Electric Co. is an equal opportunity employer.