Safety and Training Manager – Des Moines, IA
Tri-City Electric Co. is currently seeking a Safety and Training Manager for an immediate opening in Des Moines, IA. The Safety & Training Manager will develop, coordinate, and implement occupational health and safety policies and procedures to promote and ensure effective safety operations within the organization and eliminates or controls hazardous conditions resulting from human error or equipment operations that may lead to injury and/or property damage. The position will coordinate and oversee a team of project-specific jobsite safety personnel and align company goals and objectives to all jobsites.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with executive management in the conception, development, implementation and revision of the company’s Health and Safety Program for all projects
- Aligns and develops safety and health initiatives with the goals set forth by the tri-venture partners
- Reviews accident and incident reports and assesses next steps with Director of Safety and Training
- Completes employee training on safety standards
- Stops operations and activities that could harm employees, equipment, or property
- Responsible for promoting and maintaining a positive safety culture with contractor personnel
- Assist in identification, analysis and control of occupational hazards requiring the application of professional safety knowledge, skill, and abilities
- Practice safe working techniques and re-enforce safety policies, guidelines, and procedures as set out by the company
- Provide daily guidance and direction of the safety program at the employee/supervisor level to ensure a common and effective approach
- Responsible for assisting in the identification of possible losses; evaluating the risk in such loss exposure; developing and implementing a plan to correct or prevent a loss and audit the plan to ensure its effectiveness
- Ensure that contractor personnel working on the property are in compliance with jobsite policies and safety requirements
- Review proposed occupational safety policies, guidelines and standards to determine their consistency with accepted OSHA principles and practices and recommend technical changes as needed
- Prevent and eliminate injury and illness to employees and assist the company in complying with safety regulations and industry standards
- Inspect workplaces to minimize or eliminate hazards from processes, such as incorrect working methods
- Recommend changes to protect workers and educate employees on how to prevent health problems through the use of safety training programs
- Directs jobsite safety specialists on new hire orientation and daily safety talks
- Investigate accidents to identify their causes and ways to prevent them in the future
- Documents all incidents to ensure proper compliance with safety rules and human resource practices
- Communicates with the project general contractor and owner safety representatives
- Coordinates safety initiatives and practices as-needed set forth by the project owner or GC
- Travel to and periodically visit project sites to meet with onsite safety personnel and project team
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety Related Industry OR Construction Health and Safety Technician Certification (CHST) plus five years of construction safety experience.
Candidates must possess strong attention to detail, strategic thinking, focus on accuracy, solid communication skills, positive initiative and judgement, the ability to problem solve and meet deadlines and the ability to multitask with tact and consideration.
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a drug screen and reference check. Tri-City Electric Co. is an equal opportunity employer.